Skeleton from the Anglo-Saxon cemetery
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||Presented by Mr Harold Bidder|
|Notes / History||The Anglo-Saxon burial site close to Morden Road, was initially excavated between 1888 and the 1920’s and 230 burials were unearthed. The grave goods discovered date from
450 to 600.
A large number of the internments found on the site were of well armed men and the proportion of weapons found as grave goods was unusually high. One fifth of all the graves contained arms of some description and a total of twelve swords exceeded most of the known cemeteries’ in England at that time. This grave contained a male skeleton, with a sword and a conical shield boss.