Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, near Morden Road, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||Presented by Mr Harold Bidder|
|Notes / History||Initial excavation of the site, which is the largest Anglo-Saxon burial ground to be found in the south east, took place between 1888 and the 1920’s.
230 burials were unearthed, although, the cemetery may have contained double that number.
The grave goods discovered date from 450 to 600.
A 1980s excavation by the Museum of London Archaeological Service unearthed a large assortment of human remains, weaponry, jewellery and domestic goods, examples of which are now displayed at the museum.