West Barnes Park House, West Barnes
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1867|
|Notes / History||West Barnes Park was the eastern section of the old West Barnes Estate. The house, was probably built by Henry Carpenter around 1612. The Carpenters were a local family of some importance and owned land and property in Merton for many years, although they had tenant farmers working for them. The West Barnes Estate was eventually sold to John Budgen in 1683. The Budgens were country gentlemen - Thomas Budgen was a Member of Parliament in the 1750's.
After various occupiers, the estate was bought in 1866 by Richard Garth, lord of the manor of Morden, who planned to develop it for housing. Garth also owned Morden Hall before the Hatfeilds. Garth built Raynes Park Station in 1871 and Grand Drive was laid out in the 1880's on land near the house. The house was destroyed by fire in 1881 after being empty for some time. There was no fire service in Merton, so the fire was tackled by the Wimbledon Volunteer Fire Brigage after a long time consuming journey from Mansel Mews, but they failed to save it.