The Poplars: Situated near Merton Abbey Station
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||February 1914|
|Copyright 1||H.C. Archer|
|Notes / History||The Poplars in Jacobs Green, (Phipps Bridge Road), may have been the home of the Jacobs family who were 'whitsters' and had bleaching grounds in the Merton Abbey area. The family had been operating in the Parish of Merton since the 1600's until the mid 1750's. The house had a stone tablet inset into its rear wall dated 1660.
'Whitstering' is the process of beaching textiles, and many of those engaged in the craft were of Flemish or Dutch origin, like the Jacobs Family.