Cricket Green obelisk
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||6th December 1992|
|Notes / History||From book Mitcham A Pictorial History: Plate no 57. The early 1820's were marked by exceptionally low rainfall in Mitcham. Many suffered hardship, and some resorted to using the water from the wandle which had an unpleasant taste and tended to be polluted.
The appearance of a natural artesian spring in the grounds of the Canonos was therefore seen as a miracle and the occurrence was duly marked by the Revd. Richard Cranmer, son of the lord of the manor of Mitcham, by the erection in September 1822 of this monument.