Wimbledon Theatre, Broadway, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1982|
|Copyright 1||Alan Walker Claypus Design|
|Notes / History||The sketch of Wimbledon theatre gives a clear picture of the theatre exterior in 1982, with a bare dome.
With several refurbishments, most notably in 1991 and 1998. The golden statue atop the dome is Laetitia, the Roman Goddess of Gaiety (although many refer to her as the theatre's "angel") and was an original fixture back in 1910. The statue was removed in World War II as it was thought to be a direction finding device for German bombers. Buried for safekeeping, the angel’s true resting place was sadly forgotten.
The rooftop remained bare until a modern “angel” was added in the refurbishment in 1991.
The dome area now houses a collection of theatre memorabilia, displayed to the public as part of a regular theatre tour.