Wandle Park House, Wandle Park, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Hutchinson & Co.|
|Notes / History||Wandle Bank House and grounds, owned from 1791-1821 by James Perry who also owned the nearby Merton Corn Mill and was editor of the Morning Chronicle, founded in 1770. Corn milling was an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times.
The land was purchased by Wimbledon Corporation for a public park and vested in the National Trust, and the park opened in 1907.
In 1910 the Mill Pond Garden was added, purchased by public subscription. Re-design of the park was undertaken through Merton Groundwork Trust and completed in 2003.