Manor Club, Kingston Road
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1905|
|Copyright 1||Merton Library Service|
|Notes / History||John Innes founded the club1890 so that others might have a place of resort. The foundation stone was laid by Mr. Innes himself on December 20th, 1890. The club opened September the following year. Built near to the Rowland Wilson Almshouses it is one of a number of buildings in Kingston Road associated with Innes.
A garden fete was held each year by Mr. Innes and the money from it was given to the club. He had some strong ideas and would not allow the sale of spirits at the club, saying beer was good enough for him and any working man.