Majestic Cinema, Upper Green West, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1930s|
|Notes / History||Opened in 1933, the cinema stood near the junction of what is now Majestic Way. Ultimately part of the ABC/Gaumont chain, it offered a wide ranging programme including westerns and contemporary serials, cartoons, newsreels, musicals and popular feature films.
A key venue for family entertainment, the Majestic also had a tearoom and a stage area used for cabaret shows and awards ceremonies.
It was particularly popular with children who attended the regular “Saturday morning pictures” in their droves.
The cinema closed in 1961 and after a brief stint as a bingo hall, the building was finally demolished to make way for the pedestrian shopping precinct.