Littler's cottage, Phipps Bridge: Rear view
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1894|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||G.F. Cook|
|Notes / History||This weather boarded cottage, has been known to exist since 1804 under different names such as: “Littler’s Cottage”, “White Cottage” and “The Nook”.
It was first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton, Leach, Greaves and Hodgson in 1805 as calico printers.
In 1812, printer William Hate and sons worked for the calico printers being part of Merton Abbey. These cottages were demolished in 1961 and replaced with a modern block of flats