Littler's Cottage, Phipps Bridge: Rear view
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1894|
|Copyright 1||G.F. Cook|
|Notes / History||This weatherboarded Cottage, has been known to exist since 1804 under names such as, “White Cottage”, “The Nook” and finally "Littler’s Cottage". At first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton, (Leach, Greaves and Hodgson) the calico printers. In 1812, the house was occupied by William Haite who worked for one of the calico printers in partnership at Merton Abbey. William Haite's grandson George, born 1855, inherited the family's artistic talent and became president of the Society of English Decorators.
The cottages were later owned by Edmund Littler, and were mostly rented out. The cottages were finally demolished in 1961 century and later replaced with modern block of flats