Rowland Wilson Almshouses, Kingston Road, Merton
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||C.H. Cooper|
|Notes / History||This inscription was located on the centre gable of one of the tiny set of almshouses which stood at 70 Kingston Road. They were built in 1656, using money bequeathed by Rowland Wilson, a successful merchant and vintner. They were designed to accommodate six "needy" women, each of whom was awarded a pension of £4 per year, (no mean sum by the standards of the day), together with provision for "a chaldron of coals".