Tate Almshouses, Cricket Green, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1960|
|Notes / History||The Tate Almshouses at the side of the Cricket Green were built in 1829.
The site and building costs were donated by Miss Mary Tate to accommodate twelve poor widows or spinsters of the parish. They received a three shilling (15p) allowance and a regular supply of coal throughout the year.
Residents were expected to abide by a strict set of rules governing their conduct and religious observance. Failure to do so was penalised by a fine and the threat of eviction.