|Notes / History
||Mitcham Villa, also known as 'Cranmers' or the 'Rectory', was set back from Carshalton Road. Robert Cranmer, a wealthy merchant, purchased the estate in 1656 and his family was to be closely associated with the history of Merton for the next 250 years. A weatherboarded timber framed tithe barn stood close by the main house on the estate. We can assume that at the time of this engraving the estate was owned by Thomas Webb and the house and estate appear to be very well-managed and quite grand. The house and the tithe barn were demolished in 1928 to make way for the new Wilson Hospital.