The Canons, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1959|
|Copyright 1||G W Rowbotham|
|Notes / History||View of the Canon's house from the south-east and overlooking the carp pond, which is thought to date back to the Middle Ages when it provided an invaluable source of food for the Priory which occupied the site.
The house and estate was in private ownership up until 1939 when it was purchased by the Corporation of the Borough of Mitcham. With the onset of the Second World War the house was used as an Air Raid Warden Control Centre and Home Guard Post. Throughout this period the property and estate could not be fully maintained and the image, taken in 1959, shows that the gardens remain somewhat unkempt and overgrown.