Eagle House, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||16th January 1959|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham News & Mercury|
|Notes / History||Eagle House, Upper Mitcham, is a good example of Queen Anne period architecture and thought to have been erected circa 1705. Its ornate wrought iron gates bear the initials of Sir James Doliffe, a founder director of the South Sea Company and London Merchant.
For a period of time up to 1616, the land on which the house stands was part of the Estate of Sir Walter and Lady Elizabeth Raleigh.
During its history the house has been used as a residence for city bankers, a private boarding school and a school run by poor law authorities. In recent years it came into the possession of the London Borough of Merton and was updated and extended for office use.