|Notes / History
||This watercolour shows a large imposing house, thought to be known as 'Old Bedlam' which overlooked Upper Green, Mitcham, on the corner of Killick's Lane (now Majestic Way). It is known to have been pulled down in 1854 and from its description as 'irregular in plan, half-timbered and jettied with a multitude of chimneys and gables', is thought to have evolved over a not inconsiderable number of years and could have been built as far back as the 13th Century. The house was of a style that attracted artists to paint it over a long period of time but not so much is known of its history. Land Tax records show that in the late 18th and 19th centuries, Old Bedlam and several other properties in Mitcham, belonged to William Plumer (Plummer) of Hertfordshire.