|Notes / History
||Up to the 1970's a Victorian house bearing a tablet inscribed 'EEM 1889' stood in Grove Road and was home to Edward Ernest Mizen, one of three brothers, who were horticultural growers and nurserymen. Nearby to the north and on the same side of Grove road was Brook Cottage, home to the youngest Mizen brother. Between the two properties was an iron gate, shown in the photograph, carrying the name of Eastfields. Nothing remains of the houses now as a housing estate was built on the site in the 1980's. Around 1869 had Ernest Mizen relocated his family and market garden business from Battersea and re-established it on the 'East Field' in Mitcham. Within a decade Edward Mizen and his family had successfully re-built the business in Mitcham. The younger brothers carried on the business after Ernest's death. It is noted that members of the family played an active part in the local community. However, in late 1960 the Mizens re-located their market gardens to Leatherhead and Cobham due to creeping urbanisation and deteriorating air quality in Mitcham. The local Authority bought much of the Mizen land by compulsory purchase.