The Canons, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1958|
|Notes / History||Shown is the rear of the Grade 2 Listed Canons House overlooking the old 'carp' pond in the direction of the Cricket Green. The present house is believed to have been built in the late 17th Century. Reference can be found to the pond being in existence and having been enlarged by Robert Cranmer around 1664. Fish from the pond would have provided an invaluable source of food for the household at this time.
The Canons estate originally formed part of one of the five manors situated wholly or partly in Mitcham and referenced in the Domesday Survey. The Canons continued to be occupied as a private house until shortly before the outbreak of war in 1939.