Glebe Estate, Mitcham Road: From London Road
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1956|
|Copyright 1||Phox Studio,|
|Notes / History||Shown is the Glebe Estate, London Road, Mitcham. During the 50's, "Mitcham Corporation claimed with pride to have the best municipal housing record of any authority in Surrey".
Glebe Court, built on land formerly owned by the parish church was just one of several ambitious municipal property developments constructed during the post war era. There was little in the way of private building, or war reparations during this period, due to financial commitments and restrictions on materials.