The Canons, Mitcham: Corner Madeira Road and Cricket Green
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1939|
|Notes / History||Shown is the pond, situated in the grounds of the Canon’s House. Reference can be found to the pond being in existence and having been enlarged by Robert Cranmer around 1664. At this time the fish from the pond, probably carp, would have provided invaluable food for the household.
Noteworthy is the fact that an Augustinian Priory had formerly been on this site.
The Canon’s House continued to be occupied as a private house until shortly before the outbreak of the war in 1939.