The Canons, Mitcham: Mr Cranmer's Obelisk

The Canons, Mitcham: Mr Cranmer's Obelisk

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1823
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​5-1
Original Format Drawing
Notes / History Built to commemorate the sinking of an artesian well, the Obelisk was situated at the corner of the Canons House grounds at the junction of Madeira Road and Cricket Green. It was erected by Reverend Richard Cranmer to commemorate the appearance of the spring in 1822 at a time when low rainfall caused many shallow wells to dry up and resulted in a shortage of clean fresh water.

Notably, water from the Wandle River could not be used due to effluent discharge from local tanneries.

Shortly after the Obelisk was erected the artesian well dried up.

Related items

Comments

* Required field