Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1870|
|Copyright 1||Tom Francis Slide|
|Notes / History||Situated on the main road into Mitcham and equipped with a sizeable water trough, the Swan was a popular stopping place for hauliers. (A horse-drawn wagon is just visible, far right).
As the water table in this area lay close to the surface, the main body of the pub was constructed several feet off the ground. This allowed for the provision of cellars, without needing to excavate beyond a certain depth.
The Swan was extended in the 1890s and the façade underwent a number of subsequent alterations.
The building has recently been demolished and replaced by flats.