Next >

“Fisheries” Cottages

“Fisheries” Cottages

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1984
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Wandle Industrial Museum
Stakeholder Image WIM
Picture Reference WIMP36
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Previously known as Mill Cottages and often referred to as Fishermen’s Cottages were built shortly after 1851. The two cottages tucked in behind it are about a century older. They are recorded in the Mitcham Poor Rate Book of 1755.

The main house in the photo (officially 475 London Road) was probably built by Richard Jones, a felt manufacturer, for his own use. It is grander than the older cottages which were built for mill workers.

The name Fisheries Cottage is thought to have been coined by an estate agent when the property was put up for sale in the 1990s.

Related items


* Required field