|Notes / History
||This event marked the opening of the 250th house on the Pollards Hill Housing Estate in 1948. Prior to this time a housing estate had been built to the south of Pollards Hill for owner-occupation or private renting but, with the serious shortage of housing accommodation at the end of the World War II, the priority changed and the local Council's aim was to provide and rent good modern housing at subsidised rents. The Council's solution was to build 'prefabs', known as Arcon bungalows. Built to last 10 years, many were still occupied in the mid 60's.