Mill at Morden Hall, Morden
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||A mill has operated on this site since the 18th century. By 1845 the mill was under the control of Taddy & Co, a City based tobacco firm and in 1854 it transferred to the Hatfield family. Having amassed a considerable fortune from the tobacco industry, Gilliat Hatfield was able to purchase the manor of Morden from the Garth family in 1872. The mill remained in operation until 1922 when industrial action led to its closure.
The building now forms part of an educational facility run by the National Trust. The mill wheel shown here has recently been refurbished.