Old Swan, Figgs Marsh
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1870|
|Notes / History||The original Swan, shown here and described by Tom Francis as an "unpretentious, workaday village inn," had stairs leading up to the front so that a cellar could be accomodated underneath the pub, as the ground water in Mitcham lurks only a few feet beneath the surface.
It was rebuilt around 1900 with an elevated forecourt, which eliminated the need for the steps; corinthian columns, and a brick front - this too has now been demolished.