Five Bells, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||J C Buckler|
|Notes / History||This late eighteenth century watercolour shows the 'Five Bells' pub, which later became the 'Six Bells', and Merton Bridge.
The building shown here dates from 1750. It was demolished in 1855 so the Lambeth Water Company could lay water mains; consequently, they had to finance a new pub.
The second pub later became 'The Royal Six Bells' after the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, gave the inn his custom on the way to the races on Epsom Downs. It still stands in Colliers Wood, though it is now a Turkish restaurant called Istanbul Meze Mangal.