Cricketers

Cricketers

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 20th August 1989
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Pubs_​7-5
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The Cricketers pub was originally called 'The White Swan' but the name was changed by 1823; appropriately enough, it served as headquarters for the Mitcham Cricket Club for many years.

The pub was leased by Young and Bainbridge in 1831 and bought by Young & Co. in 1881 after the earlier partnership was dissolved.

The original building was destroyed by a bomb during WWII. It was re-opened by the famous cricketing twins, Alec and Eric Bedser, in 1958. The pub has since closed.

Related items

Comments

* Required field