Princess Royal public house, 25 Abbey Road
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||21st March 2005|
|Copyright 1||Merton Historical Society|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Judith Goodman|
|Notes / History||According to the Courage Brewery, the freehold title of this building can be traced back to 1850, when it was sold for £860. However by 1859, William Hogson of Hogson’s brewery leased the pub to Thomas Henden for £16 per year. By 1890, The Princess Royal was licensed to sell beer and cider but not spirits and was run by a widow, Esther Lambert. The name is thought to commemorate Princess Victoria, the eldest child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
The Princess Royal recived award from the Campaign for Real Ale, having gained the longest run of Good Beer Guide entries between 1983 and 1998. Closed in 2010, being redeveloped in 2012 as private house