Morden Hall: Academy for Boys
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||This shows the north front and lawn of Morden Hall during its use as a private academy.
Such institutions were popular during the early nineteenth century and taught a range
of subjects to the sons of the gentry and wealthy businessmen.
Set in grand surroundings, the academy was founded by Reverend John White c. 1830 to educate “young gentleman”. Assisted by his son, Thomas and three assistants, the Reverend taught over 60 pupils, aged 8 to 17 years. By 1850, the pupil intake had risen to 73 and the school staff included four assistant teachers, 2 menservants, a cook, 2 housemaids and a kitchen maid. Most of the pupils came from the Home Counties, however there were also a few foreign students. In addition to their formal lessons, the boys were also given plenty of fresh air and outdoor pursuits including cricket. The school finally closed c.1870.