Wimbledon College: Main Entrance
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||The Collectors Publishing Co|
|Notes / History||Wimbledon College began life as the Anglican Preparatory Military Academy, run by John Brackenbury, and was known for its attractive grounds. However, the school went into a decline and was purchased by Jesuits in 1892, thus becoming Wimbledon College, a Roman Catholic school that shares a close relationship with the nearby Sacred Heart Church.
The House, shown here, dates back to Brackenbury's original school, and was built in 1860, and surrounded by yew trees. It was so named because it served as Brackenbury's actual house whilst he was running the school.