Wimbledon College: Visit by Stephen Twigg M P
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.2004|
|Notes / History||Here, Stephen Twigg, MP and former Minister of State for Schools and Shadow Secretary of State for Education, pays a visit to Wimbledon College.
Wimbledon College began life as the Anglican Preparatory Military Academy, run by John Brackenbury, and was known for its attractive grounds. However, the school went into a decline and was purchased by Jesuits in 1892, thus becoming Wimbledon College, a Roman Catholic school that shares a close relationship with the nearby Sacred Heart Church. It became a grammar school in 1944, and a comprehensive in 1969 when Merton reorganised their educational system.