Central School, Camp Road, Wimbledon
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1964|
|Notes / History||Founded by local dignitaries in 1758 as the Round School, this was the principal elementary school in Wimbledon Village and was run as a charity school for poor children. Amongst its trustees was the social reformer and anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce who lived locally; Lord Nelson also donated money to the school.
During the 19th Century the octagonal building became known as the Old Central School, and provided education until the 1960’s. It was then rendered obsolete by nearby Bishop Gilpin School, who took over its role. The building is still standing, and is currently in use as The Study, an independent preparatory school for girls.