Holborn Union Industrial School and St.George's Pond
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1868|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||Built in 1856 on land to the north of Eagle House, London Road, Mitcham, the school was part of a giant workhouse complex. This was designed to address the needs of a growing number of pauper children. Part of the complex included this vast school building, where 400 boys, girls and infants received a basic education, in addition to vocational training. This was originally administered by the Poor Law union of St. George the Martyr, Southwark, before passing to the Holborn Union.
Contrary to expectations conditions were surprisingly good. Pupils were cared for by 80 staff, supervised by a matron. Smart uniforms were provided and the children had access to a small swimming pool and playing fields, in addition to classrooms and workshops.
Most of the school buildings were demolished during the 1930’s. The site was redeveloped to hold the shops and flats of Monarch Parade.