Wimbledon County School for Girls: Swimming
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c 1958|
|Notes / History||Teachers and classmates watch in admiration as the senior girls from Wimbledon County School take part in this 1958 diving display. This swimming pool was a long time in the making, as the school had spent the last ten years raising enough money to build it. Thus, its completion was a jubilant affair that included members of the community.
The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.