Wimbledon County School for Girls: Staff
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1920|
|Notes / History||Married women were generally not permitted to teach until the Sex Disqualification Act of 1919 lifted common-law restrictions against women, and even then, marriage bans remained in force at many schools, sometimes up until the 1940s, so the women shown here likely had to make a difficult choice between a career and a family, at least for a time.
The Wimbledon County School for Girls was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the school did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School