Wimbledon County School for Girls: Hockey Team
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1920|
|Notes / History||Hockey was extremely popular with the girls at Wimbledon County School, as was Netball, particularly back in 1920 when there weren't many other sports on offer. Even the teachers took part on occasion in staff games.
The Wimbledon County School for Girls was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the school did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School