Wimbledon County School for Girls: Miss Borthwick and Staff
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1940|
|Notes / History||Miss C J Borthwick served as the headmistress of Wimbledon County School for Girls from 1919 to 1940. The school doubled in size during her tenure, from 200 to 400 students, and relocated into a permanent building. She left in 1940 to help with the war effort and went on to serve as the Assistant Education Officer for Surrey.
The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School