Wimbledon County School for Girls, Gladstone Road: On the Fire Escape
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Notes / History||This picture is from the early years of the school, taken in its temporary home on Gladstone Road, before it moved to Merton Hall Road in 1924.
The Wimbledon County School for Girls was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the school did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School