|Notes / History
||Opened in 1870 by the Bishop of Winchester, this school was built using a £10,000 bequest from Richard Thornton, a marine insurance millionaire from Cannon Hill. The school intake increased rapidly during the late 19th century and it was necessary to extend the building. When a new infants school was created c.1926, the original property became a Central School. During the 1960’s, it served as a Church of England secondary school, before conversion to form Melrose Road Special School. After a brief spell as an adult education centre, the building was finally sold and converted into private apartments.