The Charter Mayor arrives at the boundary of the Borough of Wimbledon

The Charter Mayor arrives at the boundary of the Borough of Wimbledon

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c 1905
Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 J Russell & Sons
Picture Reference Wim_​Events_​1-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The Mayor, accompanied by the new Charter Clerk, is pictured at the junction of the Broadway and Merton Road. During the Charter Day ceremony, Wimbledon was granted Borough status. Wimbledon had previously been considered an urban district; this change meant that Wimbledon was now governed by a borough council consisting of a mayor, six alderman, and eighteen councillors.

Related items

Comments

* Required field