Drill Hall, Dorset Road, Merton
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||21st May 1948|
|Copyright 1||Croydon Times Ref: B|
|Notes / History||The commanding officer of the local cadet force shows the Company's collection of military drums to the
Mayor of Merton, following the
re-naming of the Drill Hall in
Drums were an important battle aid, helping troops to locate their regiment, and boosting morale. Now chiefly used for ceremonial purposes, the instruments are decorated with the colours and campaign medals from the conflicts in which a regiment has served.
For example, the drum, far left, refers to a number of First World War battles - Loos, Ypres, Cambrai etc.