St. George's Rifle Corps Dramatic Society, Wimbledon Camp Theatre
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1865|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Notes / History||In 1860 a rifle corps was formed in the Parish St George Hanover Square. After several name changes it became the 6th Middlesex (St. George’s) Volunteer Rifle Corps. The helmet badge showed St George and the Dragon.
Most army camps had a theatre hut for performances to engage the troops, although it is difficult to say from the print if this was on the camp or in the theatre in Wimbledon that opened in 1910.