Corn field, Cannon Hill Lane
Buy a copy
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Johns|
|Notes / History||Cannon Hill Common was not common land as such but formed part of the extensive holdings of Merton Priory founded in the 12th century.
The land was farmed for many centuries until 1763 when William Taylor acquired the freehold of the site and built Cannon Hill House.
The house was built from local bricks that were probably made from the black clay taken from the depression that we now know as the lake.
Sadly, with no one to inherit, the house fell into disrepair and was demolished sometime during the 1930 – 1940s.