Royal Wimbledon Golf Club, Wimbledon Common
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1950s|
|Notes / History||Golf has been played on Wimbledon Common since the mid 19th century, if not before.
The London Scottish Golf Club was founded in 1865 and was originally the preserve of the London Scottish Regiment. However by 1875, civilians outnumbered the military members by 4 to 1. This resulted in prolonged disagreement and a split to form the purely civilian Wimbledon Golf Club in 1882.
Queen Victoria authorised the addition of the “Royal” prefix during the late 19th century.