Wimbledon Common: Ponds

Wimbledon Common: Ponds

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1991
Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​20_​4-5
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History There are nine surviving ponds on Wimbledon Common, several of which were formed as a by-product of gravel extraction.

This is thought to be Bluegate Gravel Pit, named after the blue gates which once stood nearby, marking the entrance to Earl Spencer’s estate. During the early 19th century, gravel was dug from this area to repair local roads.

In 1821 tragedy struck, when four local boys (aged 8 to 13), who were playing near the pit, were smothered by a falling gravel pile.

Related items

Comments

* Required field