Transporting Wood taken from Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Notes / History||In addition to grazing rights, those granted access to the Common were also entitled to supplies of wood.
Quantities were carefully regulated with each tenant authorised to cut three cart loads of trunks, or branches from pollarded (pruned) trees, over eight feet in height. The wood must be for their own use and must not be sold for profit.
Local Court rolls record numerous infringements of the law with many villagers taking more than their allowance. The local Courts seemed powerless until the passage of the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act 1871 when the Common was afforded genuine protection.