Commonside East looking towards Mitcham Cemetery
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||29th August 1928|
|Copyright 1||J.H. Butcher|
|Notes / History||Mitcham Common is ancient common land that once extended much further and adjoined Croydon Common, Beddington farmlands and Waddon.
It has been suggested that some of the footpaths traversing the Common, may be the remains of Anglo-Saxon causeways. Saxons are known to have settled in the Mitcham area, many local place names are derived from the Anglo-Saxon language and a major burial ground was found on land opposite Mitcham Station (an area now covered by flats).
Settlements would probably have been on, or around the two village greens, however, archaeological evidence has yet to be found.