Caesar's Well, Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Notes / History||The area of Wimbledon Common known as Caesar’s Camp lies on the south western edge of the Common and commands a fine view across the valley to Epsom Downs (Yonder beyond the pine trees).
Despite the name the site was more likely established as a fort in the late Bronze or Iron-Age periods, as there are other sites from the same period in the area.
Although the site has never been thoroughly excavated it has undergone significant alterations over the years. Notably in 1875 landlord and M.P. John Samuel Sawbridge-Erle-Drax altered the site by removing its historic fortifications.